Re: [dev] [dmenu] 4.9 segfault on input

From: Ivan Tham <pickfire_AT_riseup.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:08:40 +0800

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 12:12:31PM +0100, Hiltjo Posthuma wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 04:46:23PM +0800, Ivan Tham wrote:
>> >
>> > To be clear... the terminal I normally use is termite, not st. In
>> > termite, scim+anthy works fine for me. As a test, I just now did a git
>> > clone of st and built it. Result: scim+anthy does not work in st for
>> > me. It doesn't crash; it just doesn't do anything.
>> >
>> > If I were looking for a terminal program, I probably would not
>> > consider st because of this. But in a menu program such as dmenu, I
>> > don't care whether I can use non-ASCII characters or not.
>> >

>> st was fixed with some patches for IME recently but I am surprised that
>> dmenu could be used with IME, the reason I stopped using surf because of
>> the reason not being able to search using dmenu for chinese text.
>>
>> By the way, Patrick. Why use anthy instead of mozc for japanese input? I
>> heard anthy is a dead project (from arch wiki).
>>
>Could you perhaps give feedback if IME works with dmenu correctly for you or
>any improvements?
>
>In my testing the input position is fixed and the dmenu window may overlap over
>this, however this can be changed in a setting in fcitx so might be a
>non-issue.
>
>_AT_patrick:
>In my testing scim and fcitx seems to work for me in st though (latest git).

IME works correctly but the pre-edit area initial position is correct to
be right below the cursor, however it does not move to the latest
position after selecting the characters to be inserted. An improvement
is to hint the IME using a patch similar to the st patch to allow that.

Should I send in a patch for that? For me, the pre-edit not following
the cursor is fine as my font is small and only few characters are
inserted so the gap is insignificant, not sure about others.

I had also sent in another patch to allow switching to another input
method by key release passthrough to be processed by IME.

By the way, what do you mean by changed in a setting in fcitx?