Re: [dev] [dmenu] 4.9 segfault on input

From: Ivan Tham <pickfire_AT_riseup.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 21:35:45 +0800

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 04:37:31PM +0100, Hiltjo Posthuma wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 11:08:40PM +0800, Ivan Tham wrote:

>> > Could you perhaps give feedback if IME works with dmenu correctly for you or
>> > any improvements?
>> >
>> > In my testing the input position is fixed and the dmenu window may overlap over
>> > this, however this can be changed in a setting in fcitx so might be a
>> > non-issue.
>> >
>> > _AT_patrick:
>> > In my testing scim and fcitx seems to work for me in st though (latest git).
>>
>> IME works correctly but the pre-edit area initial position is correct to
>> be right below the cursor, however it does not move to the latest
>> position after selecting the characters to be inserted. An improvement
>> is to hint the IME using a patch similar to the st patch to allow that.
>>
>> Should I send in a patch for that? For me, the pre-edit not following
>> the cursor is fine as my font is small and only few characters are
>> inserted so the gap is insignificant, not sure about others.
>>
>> I had also sent in another patch to allow switching to another input
>> method by key release passthrough to be processed by IME.
>>

>Thanks, I'll look look at it. However there was a (vague) report on IRC for
>this broke keyrelease input in some cases for st in commit
>e85b6b64660214121164ea97fb098eaa4935f7db .

Okay, I haven't seen any issues so far, what are the steps to reproduce?

>> By the way, what do you mean by changed in a setting in fcitx?
>>

>In some editors there is a setting to show the displayed input at a fixed
>position, so in my opinion this makes the patch to set the pre-edit area less
>relevant.

Yes but I don't think fixed pre-edit area are useful, that reduces focus
when editing, inserting CJK characters are unlike typing latin
characters, even though one can touch type but most of the time needs a
few page scroll to insert a rarely used character, especially when
inserting chinese characters as compared to japanese characters.