Re: [dev] [dwm]/[dmenu] Suggestion: Remove dmenu-integration from dwm

From: Anselm Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 12:37:06 -0800

Hi there,

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 10:27, aleks <aleks.stier_AT_icloud.com> wrote:
> The spawn method in dwm.c checks if the received argument is dmenucmd
> and if so it sets the variable dmenumon (which is defined in config.h)
> to the currectly selected monitor (at least thats what I think is
> happening).
>
> It seems to me to be bad design that dmenu is intermingled with dwm so
> deeply and that dmenu depends on dwm to detect to correct monitor.

I did apply this in 2013, the patch was written by Marti Kuehne. The
reason was that one could leave the pointer on a different screen than
the focused monitor, and when running dmenu, it wouldn't use the
pointer location to determine the monitor of appearance.

Since I switched back to single head years ago, I'd be open to discuss
the need for this. It indeed seems like a hack.

I often considered rearranging the code that the default dwm does not
require multi monitor support.

So I'd say the primary question is, if we want to keep the -m flag
handling in dmenu or not. I suggest to drop it.

Best regards,
Anselm