Re: [dev] [dwm]/[dmenu] Suggestion: Remove dmenu-integration from dwm

From: Ian Remmler <ian_AT_remmler.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 10:34:24 -0600

On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 12:37:06PM -0800, Anselm Garbe wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 10:27, aleks <aleks.stier_AT_icloud.com> wrote:
> > It seems to me to be bad design that dmenu is intermingled with dwm so
> > deeply and that dmenu depends on dwm to detect to correct monitor.

I always thought it was odd having dmenu-specific code in dwm.c. I
suggested making it generic so you could pass the monitor to any
command.

https://lists.suckless.org/hackers/1612/13797.html

> I did apply this in 2013, the patch was written by Marti Kuehne. The
> reason was that one could leave the pointer on a different screen than
> the focused monitor, and when running dmenu, it wouldn't use the
> pointer location to determine the monitor of appearance.

I think warping the pointer makes more sense. I would really prefer to
have https://dwm.suckless.org/patches/warp/ in mainline.

Just my thoughts.

--
	- Ian.