Re: [dev] Pandoc replacement that sucks less

From: Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 12:08:50 -0400

HTML renderers are vast and somewhat easy to code, depending how far
you want to go.

After seeing that css4.pub website, it has opened my eyes: why are we
doing Markdown at all?

If we stick to using tags like header, article, main, div, p,
ul/ol/li, and maybe a few others, what more do we really need?

"It's too verbose" - yes and no? It depends on what you're doing
really. Even then, there are tools like https://emmet.io/ that can
auto-expand to large amounts of HTML, or you can use something like
vim-surround to quickly add tags. Essentially: use an editor with tag
support, or write tag support, what is not insane to do.

HTML is also somewhat future proof, and self describing.

While TeX is nice, there's duplication of work between it and HTML,
and I think HTML has a long life ahead of it. This doesn't mean TeX
will ever disappear, but support around it to continually shrink. I've
heard it's also not trivial to write a TeX renderer.

Again, after seeing css4.pub, I think it'd be worth it to at least
spend some time with this way of writing documents!