Re: [dev] switch to ubase + sbase

From: Daniel Cegiełka <daniel.cegielka_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 11:29:51 +0200

pt., 17 maj 2019 o 20:13 Thomas Meulendijks <t.meulendijks_AT_tuta.io> napisał(a):

> Hey,
>
> I am looking to switch to ubase an sbase and try to only use suckless software where available as a experiment and a way of learning my system better.
>
> Now I settled on void linux as a distro since it uses musl.
>
> Now when I try to uninstall some packages such as bash(gnu) and coreutils(gnu) I get an error saying it breaks the pgk base-system.

Why are you surprised? You hit the essential system components, so you
get a warning. If in the system scripts in #! you have hard coded
/bin/bash, then after uninstalling bash you will crash the whole
system.

If you want to uninstall bash, make sure you can log in, so try:

grep bash /etc/passwd

> How would I go about switching to ubase and sbase?

Install it into '/usr/local/'. If you type eg 'find', first the path
'/usr/local/bin' will be checked, then '/usr/bin' and finally '/bin'.

see: echo $PATH

to change the order in $PATH, save this in ~ /.profile

and then:

. ~/.profile

btw. there is oasis, a small sbase+ubase+musl linux distro:
https://github.com/michaelforney/oasis/

Daniel