[dev] multi-column text editing and viewing like tcvt

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 10:02:47 -0400

Greetings. I just discovered (or more probably, discovered a long time ago, forgot about, and rediscovered) multi-column text editing and viewing. And I am thinking this is very useful, especially with the modern craze for wide screens. I am referring to the feature implemented by Emacs follow mode [1] and tcvt [2]. I can even run htop in multiple columns with tcvt which is pretty cool.

So, my questions for you are: Do you use this feature? Do you achieve a similar goal in a different way? Are there any other programs that have this feature? Maybe an implementation of vi?

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Follow-Mode.html
[2] http://subdivi.de/~helmut/tcvt/