[dev] [quark] Performance issues

From: <maillists.rulmer_AT_mailbox.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 20:33:19 +0200

Hi,
I'm toying with quark and noticed it's comparatively poor performance in
my use case. I used Apache bench to benchmark the web server. With this
setup I got 980 requests/second:

echo 'foo bar' > index.html
doas quark -d . -h localhost -p 8080 > /dev/null &
ab -n 10000 -c 20 'http://localhost:8080/'

For comparison I set up a simple web server using golang. You can
find the code at https://play.golang.org/p/yQNwq58kEmv . I got 7759
requests/second using this setup:

echo 'foo bar' > index.html
go run main.go &
ab -n 10000 -c 20 'http://localhost:8081/'

I also tried OpenBSD's httpd and got 6067 requests/second.

I'm surprised by the massive difference in performance and am wondering
if I'm doing something wrong. If the performance is as expected, I would
be quite curious to hear an explanation for it.

Best regards,
Richard Ulmer