Re: [dev] Re: Worse is better: Plan9 and Linux?

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 10:56:51 +0100

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 17:48:09 +0100
Peter Wiehe <peter_AT_pwiehe.de> wrote:

Dear Peter,

> So my question to you is:
> how do you put Linux and Plan9 into this scala?
> (I get the feeling you deliberately don't want to understand my
> question.)

I wanted to give you a general answer. Discussing Linux and Plan 9
involves many other topics, including the trade-off between
practicability and elegance. Operating systems are a tool to do things,
and to put it to an extreme, if one decides to develop suckless
software on macOS, so be it.
The same point applies to Linux: I use Linux on my personal computer
and OpenBSD on my servers. There are many points of criticism against
Linux and the accompanying ecosystem, the most prominent being the
intoxication with systemd and general complexity. Still, for many
applications and use-cases, there is no other choice.

I must admit that I'm not a big fan of Plan 9, but maybe I've just
spent too little time with it. With regard to elegance and simplicity
I think OpenBSD is the best trade-off, however, even it fails to fit
all my use-cases.

To get back to your question: If we just think about data structures
and simplicity, Plan 9 wins, as they revolutionized this field in many
ways where unixoid operating systems are still stuck at to this day.
Nevertheless, it doesn't help when it's residing in a niché.

With best regards

Laslo