Re: [dev] Completeness suckless

From: Sagar Acharya <sagaracharya_AT_tutanota.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 08:14:08 +0200 (CEST)

>I say that coming from one of the best universities in France; I didn't have very much respect left for the word "scientist" when I left
Same here. Exactly same! But they for sure are intelligent. One of the key things in capitalism is getting tamed by the powerful. Majority of these geniuses don't know how their work impacts the world! They get tamed by people who work against their own principles just because knowing their tamer's principles is difficult!

>Now try bspwm
Damn that's good! Very simple logic. But I'll stick to dwm for now. Check it after a while.

>Where would you say their capacities are lacking?
Most don't have the logical abilities. Amongst ones who do, many don't want to read in times of videos. They want instant gratification. For few it is also about power. You suggest them to use dwm. They'll think they're above you socially and won't use it. This maybe a bit biased but 1 thing I know for sure, that people are far, very far away from using minimal systems.

>The practical knowledge of computer science comes from experience in a consumer-driven, market environment. Academia is not that environment.
+1.

>A lot of people had a take for a user-friendlier dwm, you should try those, or similar wms with "battery pack included" like i3 or awesome.
Again, I'm not talking about dwm specifically. i3wm is a single wm and while it's good, I think suckless can target COMPLETE systems. It's philosophy is great.

>We believe this should become the mainstream philosophy in the IT sector. - On suckless site.
This IT sector is constantly making things easier for people or atleast making people believe it is. If suckless wants this to become mainstream philosophy, it has to do itself. People don't wanna change especially when computers are just the tools to achieve some end.

If suckless makes it easy for people to use minimalistic systems, they will. I shifted from complete windows to dual boot to complete GNU/Linux (Parrot Linux) to Parabola (Plasma) to Parabola (dwm) in about 3 years. I can't imagine shifting directly to current state. I would get frustrated and go back to Windows if someone would ask me to get to this point from complete Windows. But if there were tutorials explaning why would you use wm instead of de, wm were a bit more beautiful, things would be much simpler. Plasma is hands down beautiful! But it's very complex!

Thanking you
Sagar Acharya
https://designman.org

P.S. I'd love to contribute.