Re: [dev] Wayland compositors

From: Maarten van Gompel <proycon_AT_anaproy.nl>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 15:49:43 +0200

Hi Nick et al,

With Sxmo we're currently also moving towards wayland (we'll have to
reinvent what the X in our name means then). We found that, especially
on the Pinephone, the performance under Wayland is simply superior to
that on X11. We settled on sway to replace dwm, as dwl still lacks the
maturity we need and sway has that going for it. I agree it comes with
maybe a few too many bells & whistles as we'd like. Though of course, by
definition a wayland compositor has a considerably higher complexity
than an X11 window manager anyway.

We will also keep supporting X and the suckless stack, but
Wayland will become the default in the very near future for us.
Unfortunately this means we had to look for comparable alternatives for
the suckless software stack we've grown attached to. But fortunately
there are people taking up wayland-focused initiatives with a similar
philosophy. Thus far we have:

dwm -> sway (granted, not the same thing)
svkbd -> wvkbd (see https://github.com/jjsullivan5196/wvkbd/pull/2)
st -> foot
dmenu -> bemenu

Regards,