Re: [dev] requirements of build systems

From: Petros Pateros <petratman_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 21:43:36 +0200

On Tue, Feb 01, 2022 at 08:09:12AM -0500, LM wrote:

Dear Laura,

> Very nice and definitely better than just using an ordinary shell script.

Calling other programs to determine and report a target's dependencies, is
convenient, efficient and not limited by any pattern description language.

This is the reason why I prefer using redo over make: it assumes nothing about
the target-dependencies relation but makes specifying it actually easier, even on
"complicated" cases, by letting you use tools/(combination of tools) that are
more appropriate.

> Thanks for the links. If you write a manual, hope you'll let us know.
> I'd be very interested in reading it.

I've spent some time preparing the manual and it seems complete now.

Have fun.

Cheers!