Re: [dev] [dwm] Incorrect resolution when turning on dual monitors

From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 15:36:25 +0200

On Fri, May 06, 2022 at 10:27:32PM -0400, Christopher Brown wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been intermittently encountering an issue where dwm messes up
> my monitor resolutions when powering on my two monitors. Frequently,
> both screens will be combined on one monitor while the other monitor
> does not receive input. The "Two independent outputs" section of the
> multi monitor dwm documentation seems to describe what I am
> experiencing. I tried using the xrandr options it mentions, but I will
> still sometimes encounter the issue. Does anyone know how to prevent
> this from happening?
>
> Thank you,
> Christopher

dwm is unlikely to be the culprit here, although it also doesn't help
any. dwm only consumes the Xinerama information, it does not perform any
settings itself. So whatever is going wrong is likely to be with the
startup of your X server. I would suggest you investigate how the server
starts in your case, and how it attempts to deal with multiple displays.

Ciao,
Markus