Re: [dev] Suckless CMatrix clone

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 17:32:33 +0200

On Mon, 30 May 2022 07:33:24 -0400
LM <lmemsm_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Dear LM,

> Thanks for the reviews. That's really helpful to know. As mentioned,
> I haven't tried them myself.

you're welcome!

> That looks really useful. I noticed the break testing in libgrapheme.
> Is it possible to use this as a replacement for libunistring? I've
> been doing some work on Tuxmath. I updated the code from what they'd
> copied from an old version of gettext to using the libunistring
> package which was supposed to replace it. Would be nice to offer an
> alternative to libunistring as another compilation option. They
> mostly use the code to figure out where to put line breaks when
> dealing with internationalized text.

libunistring's Unicode implementation sadly is incorrect in some
aspects, because they based their data-structures and API on a very old
Unicode standard where, for example, grapheme cluster break detection
was still stateless. It has become stateful since.

Other than that, it depends on what you want to do, given libunistring
offers much more than text segmentation. I'm still reflecting on how I
want to implement case conversion and detection in libgrapheme and
hadn't had the time to work on it yet.

What functions do you need in the context of Tuxmath?

With best regards

Laslo