Re: [dev] suckless indentation with vim

From: Robert Winkler <robert.winkler_AT_bioprocess.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 18:43:53 -0500

On Tue Jul 5, 2022 at 7:44 AM CDT, wrote:

> >> set tabstop=8
> >> set softtabstop=0
> >> set shiftwidth=0
> >> set noexpandtab
> >>
> >>Not being lazy to type text, and indenting each line manually.
> >>Side note: vim is bloated compared to vi and vis.
>
> Yeah, Vim is extremely bloated.. I tried counting it's SLOC, both C and .vim
> and stuff, and it's above 700000, I think.. if I counted it well, not sure.
> Vi seems minimalistic - skimmed a it's source code.. but just A BIT too
> minimal (suckless-style patches needed xD).
>
> This is why I'm creating my own text terminal.
> I don't give a shit if it doesn't become 1/1000 as popular as Vim is, I
> want it
> to be simple, suckless, and powerful-ish.
> The cross-platform compatibility might be a shit-thing.

Well, vim is problematic for several reasons.
neovim is said to be 'cleaner' code and more collaborative;
Unfortunately, many useful plugins that I need for working with
markdown/ pandoc (e.g. youcompleteme) don't run on all platforms
with neovim, why I'm still stuck with vim (from time to time I need a
manuscript finished..).

Since my hand mobility is limited, I cannot use Emacs, et al. (;-)),
and atom, which was a very versatile editor, is dead.

My point: the tab/intend/space issue is only the tip of the iceberg.
Probably a newly written 'vimish' editor is needed.