Re: [dev] [st] incorrect italic, bold, bold italic versions

From: NRK <nrk_AT_disroot.org>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 04:55:47 +0600

On Fri, Aug 05, 2022 at 11:55:39PM +0300, Plato Kiorpelidis wrote:
> Sometimes FcFontMatch in xloadfont does not match the font the user expects.
> This happens because fontconfig attempts to find a matching font using
> heuristics. To deal with this I wrote a patch[1] that allows the user to
> explicitly state the prefered italic, bold and bold italic fonts.

I think the bigger issue here is the fact that ST doesn't allow user to
specify the fallback fonts in config.h. DWM and Dmenu on the other hand
do.

The font2 patch[0] on the wiki kinda enables fallback fonts. But I
didn't like the fact that it adds a separate array `font2`. IMO you
should be able to do this, similar to dmenu/dwm:

        static const char *fonts[] = {
                "font0",
                "font1",
                "font2",
        };

And ST would/should prioritize `font0` and then fallback to
`font1 -> font2 -> ..` etc before attempting it's own heuristics.

[0]: https://st.suckless.org/patches/font2/

- NRK