Re: [dev] [tabbed] utf8 characters not displayed in tabs

From: Pontus Stenetorp <pontus_AT_stenetorp.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 11:42:33 +0900

On Mon 29 Aug 2022, Seb wrote:

> I am using xterm under tabbed (v.0.6) and some of the polish
> characters which are in the directory name are not displayed in the
> tabs and the rest of the name is truncated, for instance:
>
> /home/seb/żółty is truncated to /home/seb/żó
>
> when I set the Xresource :
>
> *XTerm*utf8Title: True
>
> then the whole name is displayed with all polish characters but only
> after I change directory to a new location, so the name in tab does
> not refer to actual directory.

I only started using tabbed the other day, but I also have issues with Unicode (in my case Japanese showing up as “tofu”).

My intuition is that it is related to font loading and fall backs, so I am tempted to take a stab at it by comparing the font loading/handling between tabbed, dwm, st, and sent to see if I can spot any difference, as the latter three have no issues. If I am correct, it should not be an awfully difficult patch.