Re: [dev] [tabbed] utf8 characters not displayed in tabs

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:36:31 +0200

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 09:11:03PM +0600, NRK wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 04:50:14PM +0200, Hiltjo Posthuma wrote:
> > Then write a patch to improve it instead of whining about it.
>
> The topic was font fallback; I adviced not to replicate drw, explained
> my reasoning why, and then adviced to look into ST instead.
>
> I don't see any whining.
>
> - NRK

"
The font fallback in dwm and dmenu is handled via libsl (i.e drw.c) and
it's a huge mess [0].

The way it works is also very inefficient (it calls XftFontMatch() for
every single "unknown" code-point). The `nomatches` cache is merely
there to stop the bleeding and is not really a proper fix.
"

This part specificly. The tone if very whiny. It doesn't help complaining
the code is a mess or improper without proposing a patch.

--
Kind regards,
Hiltjo