Re: [dev] Some questions on communication suckless style

From: fernandoreyesavila3 <fernandoreyesavila3_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 23:07:35 -0500

On 22/10/14 06:39PM, LM wrote:
> Fernando,
>
> I cannot attest as to whether these follow suckless design philosophy,
> but the following are voice related programs from a list on the topic
> of FLOSS Educational Resources for Internet and Distance Learning:
>
> https://www.mumble.info
> https://f-droid.org/packages/se.lublin.mumla/
> Mumble is a free, Open Source, low latency, high quality voice chat
> application. Mumla is an Android app for the Mumble voice conference
> system. Mumble can handle 1000 concurrent users.
>
> http://llcon.sourceforge.net/
> Jamulus software enables musicians to perform real-time jam sessions
> over the internet. Latest version can handle around 100 concurrent
> users playing together. Hosts at least 50 concurrent users.
>
> https://sonobus.net/
> Sonobus is an easy to use application for streaming high-quality,
> low-latency peer-to-peer audio between devices over the internet or a
> local network. 12 concurrent users maximum.
>
> As for screen sharing, you already mentioned Jitsi and there are some
> programs that allow for collaborative editing. Wouldn't consider any
> of them lightweight or suckless. You can find the list here:
> https://lmemsm.dreamwidth.org/14124.html I'd be very interested in
> adding other options to it, if anyone has other software
> recommendations for it.

Hi,

Thanks for the readings. It seems like there isn't anyway lightweight
way to use VoIP unfortunately. Mumble seems preferable here and another
user suggested using vnc to screenshare. I would prefer to use my home
server for screen sharing instead of having everybody configure a server
on their end but their doesn't seem to be many other options. I guess I
am more interested in a command line interface but I think VoIP is
beyond the capabilities of the command line.

Fernando