Re: [dev] Some questions on communication suckless style

From: fernandoreyesavila3 <fernandoreyesavila3_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 18:55:04 -0500

On 22/10/14 06:39PM, LM wrote:
> Fernando,
>
> I cannot attest as to whether these follow suckless design philosophy,
> but the following are voice related programs from a list on the topic
> of FLOSS Educational Resources for Internet and Distance Learning:
>
> https://www.mumble.info
> https://f-droid.org/packages/se.lublin.mumla/
> Mumble is a free, Open Source, low latency, high quality voice chat
> application. Mumla is an Android app for the Mumble voice conference
> system. Mumble can handle 1000 concurrent users.
>
> http://llcon.sourceforge.net/
> Jamulus software enables musicians to perform real-time jam sessions
> over the internet. Latest version can handle around 100 concurrent
> users playing together. Hosts at least 50 concurrent users.
>
> https://sonobus.net/
> Sonobus is an easy to use application for streaming high-quality,
> low-latency peer-to-peer audio between devices over the internet or a
> local network. 12 concurrent users maximum.
>
> As for screen sharing, you already mentioned Jitsi and there are some
> programs that allow for collaborative editing. Wouldn't consider any
> of them lightweight or suckless. You can find the list here:
> https://lmemsm.dreamwidth.org/14124.html I'd be very interested in
> adding other options to it, if anyone has other software
> recommendations for it.

Hi,

Thanks for the readings. It seems VoIP hasn't been implemented in a lightweight solution unfortunately. Mumble seems preferable here and another user mentioned screen sharing through vnc. Although I would prefer hosting screen sharing on my home server instead of having every one configure a server on their machine. We also don't really need remote control as we mostly use screen sharing for educational purposes when we can't work in person.

Best regards,
Fernando