Re: [dwm] considering Xresources as dwm configuration like larswm

From: Julian Romero <julian.romero+dwm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:58:49 +0200

On 7/21/06, Steffen Liebergeld <stepardo_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/20/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 05:46:10PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > > Actually I consider using Xrm as dwm configuration mechanism...
> > > (even if I hate it).
> > >
> > > I will think about it until tomorrow. Command line options are
> > > no alternative, because we cannot define rules with command line
> > > args...

Thinking out loud, I like telnet interface as configuration mechanism.
You telnet localhost:3113 (or whatever port) and just type a rule:

$ telnet localhost:3113
dwm>rule .*thunderbird.*, mail, tile
dwm>rule .*biff.*, mail, float
dwm>rulex .*ie.*, windows, tile
Opps, do you need a rest?
dwm>bye

Another way could be to use stdin for both status and rules.

In both cases the parser will be miminal. I don't know about the size of a
mini-telnet daemon.

I'm using an AWK script right now to generate the C code because is boring
to add the code for every tag and rule in several source files.

--
JR