Re: [dwm] considering Xresources as dwm configuration like larswm

From: Steffen Liebergeld <stepardo_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:26:38 +0200

On 7/20/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 05:46:10PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > Actually I consider using Xrm as dwm configuration mechanism...
> > (even if I hate it).
> >
> > I will think about it until tomorrow. Command line options are
> > no alternative, because we cannot define rules with command line
> > args...
>
> Forget what I considered. There is a very good reason beside
> simplicty uniqueness to other WMs to keep the code-based customization:
>
> It makes no sense to learn yet another syntax. dwm users should
> know at least so much C to be able to customize it for their
> needs, that we can keep espeically novices outside. This is an
> elitist wm ;)

I like the idea. After all, thats what I always looked for: a system
that makes me "feel" elitist (or leet or ...). And, to make that
clear: changing the rules is no common task. You do it once and leave
it as it is for all eternity.

And, as it comes to complexity--or better: the avoidance of
complexity, this WM is by far better than wmii ever was. Both from the
users and from the developers point of view[0].

[0] Just to mention it: I know that in this case all users are developers.

--
greetings,
                  Steffen Liebergeld