[dwm] Re: Auto-discard notification

From: David Brooke <dwm_AT_dbrooke.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 17:28:25 +0100

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 05:15:00PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:

> Note that you aren't subscribed yet.

Oops, I sent from the wrong address.

> > One thing which I find a little strange is that when I switch between
> > views the focus is sometimes in the master window and is sometimes in
> > the stack window which is under the mouse pointer.
> >
> > I have 3 views, 2 of these have 3 windows (the same master is tagged to
> > both of these but the stack is different) and one has just a master
> > window. The behaviour of the focus in the 3-window views depends on
> > whether I have switched directly between them or have switched through
> > the single window view.
> >
> > I'm not sure what the expected behaviour is but if this is a bug then I
> > can give more details of exactly what happens with various sequences of
> > switching - it is repeatable but complex.
>
> The intended behavior is, that always the master window is
> focused if you select a view, regardless what has been focused
> when you left the view (because of multi-tagging and simplicity
> there is no other predictable way).

OK, in that case it seems like a bug.

Consider the 2 views which have 3 windows and where the master is
multi-tagged and the stack is different.

Let's say I have focus and mouse pointer in the upper stack window. I
switch to the other view and focus is the master. I switch back and
focus is the upper stack window.

If I have focus in the upper stack window but the mouse pointer is in
the lower stack window then after switching away and back the lower
window has focus.

So it seems that focus switches to the window under the mouse pointer on
returning. However if I move the mouse pointer into the master window of
the intermediate view (which already had focus) and then back to the
upper stack window (transferring focus) then the master has focus when I
return to my first view.

I hope that is clear.

This is with 0.6 built with config.h copied from config.default.h and
the only change being to the master window width.

David