Re: [dwm] My first impressions

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 18:54:54 +0200

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 12:35:46PM +0200, Capit Nicolas wrote:
> - Is it possible to tile or float a window individualy without a Rule in
> the config.h?
> It exists the possibility to float all or tile all but I didn't find this
> for a particular window?

I noticed that it is more efficient to apply a mode globally, at
least in my workflow. Otherwise you have to dig around with the
modes for every single client, which can get messy easily. For
broken clients the rules have been invented.

> - Do you think there is a way to hide the status bar. For example when you
> maximize a window you would have the entire screen for just this one?
> I thought to a define in the config.h to enable or not that and perhaps
> show the bar when the Meta key is pressed and hide it otherwise.
> What do you think about this?

Patch the code, however in my resolution the status bar does not
hurt, and I write sane info to it, which I look at often (esp.
the battery state and the clock).

> - I made a small hack to change the size of the main window in the tile
> mode. I know I must test the screen borders when I perform that but I
> didn'have enough time...
> This is the diff:
>
> diff ./dwm.h /tmp/dwm-0.9/dwm.h
> 132a133
> > extern void modifymw(Arg *arg);
> diff ./tag.c /tmp/tag.c
> 279a280,285
> > void modifymw(Arg *arg){
> > mw -= arg->i ;
> > arrange(NULL);
> > }
> >

> An in config.h I add the lines:
>
> { MODKEY, XK_Left, modifymw, { .i = 10 }
> },\
> { MODKEY, XK_Right, modifymw, { .i = -10
> } },\
>

> So effectively it is not so difficult to add a new feature :-)

Sometimes I got the feeling that I'd like to need that as well.
I'd do it simplier however. Why not only one key combination for
grow? Performing that in a column would grow that column only.
What do others think about this? (I could imagine Mod1-+ for
that purpose).

Regards,