Re: [dwm] Maximize problem

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:48:24 +0000

On 8/23/06, ste.buffaishere_AT_tin.it <ste.buffaishere_AT_tin.it> wrote:
> gvim (gtk vim) don't maximize. Or at least it doesn't remain maximized,
> after hitting Mod-m the window expands but immediately returns to its
> original size. This doesn't happen in float mode.

That's because dwm returns to tiled mode when "something happens". In
this case, gvim tries to claim a size different from the one it is
given by dwm (this is bad behavior from gvim: it gives a certain
inc-hint, but when a wm doesn't honor that hint, gvim should just
accept the size it is given). The reason that it doesn't happen in
floating mode is that dwm does inc-handling in floating mode (you'll
probably notice that gvim isn't _exactly_ fullscreen when using Mod-m
in floating mode), and therefore gvim doesn't request a different size
than the given one.
I guess it would be better if dwm would just reenforce the max size
when this happens rather than return to tiled mode (I've recently been
trying to write a sane patch for that, but so far the things I came up
with where either too hackish for mainstream, or introduced new
cornercases).

Gr. Sander.