Re: [dwm] placement of tags on titles

From: Julian Romero <julian.romero+dwm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:59:02 +0200

On 8/23/06, Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/23/06, David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Because I tend to have at least several, and often many more than that,
> > editor windows open at the same time, I do use the titles quite a bit,
> > particularly since the spatial repositioning that occurs upon zooming
> > means that spatial memory doesn't help. (This isn't a criticism: by it's
> > dynamic nature of tagging spatial memory is going to be of limited use
> > anyway.) This is with an editor which deliberately only displays the file
> > title via the window manager title bar to avoid wasting space in its
> > windows. Obviously if for your usage each window is a visually different
> > application the need for titles isn't anywhere near as pressing.
>
> I agree that removing titles from unfocused windows is a bad idea.
> With many (different titled) xterms, finding the right one without
> titles is going to be a pita.

The hostname + last components in path (with colors) in the prompt is
enough for me to distinguish xterms.

> Also, having a title on non-focused
> windows is a clear indicator of where the focus currently is (much
> clearer anyway than just a different colored 1-pix border).

Clear indicator? For me is hard to know where is the focus looking for
title's absence...even though I agree that looking for the 1-pix
border is much more harder. No alternatives yet.

> As long as adding additional tags is a toggle, I believe this
> information is important to have. If Mod1-Shift-Ctrl-2 meant _add_ tag
> 2 to the selected window, you could just repres that combo when in
> doubt about whether or not the selected window bears tag 2. However,
> as long as Mod1-Shift-Ctrl-2 means _toggle_ tag 2, there's just no
> convenient way to figure out whether or non a client bears tag 2,
> other than by messing around with your view. I suspect that anybody
> who finds that the tagstatus of clients is not important information,
> is not using multi-tagging/viewing very intensively...

...or uses it in another way: having a univocal (mental) rule to know
wich tag (and only one) applies to each window "family". Then combine
selecting tags.
So, if I am viewing client-of-kind-2 certainly tag 2 is active.
Otherwise I need to toggle tag 2 in order to view it. No need to look
anywhere.
This is why I need to create/delete tags on the fly...to have as many
tags as needed depending on the actual work.

At the end is just a matter of what you are used to. I worked this way
before (similarly) with "classic" pagers in other WM.
dwm is much better at this (with current tagging approach)

--
Julián