Re: [dwm] placement of tags on titles

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:19:54 +0000

On 8/23/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> Changing the text color will add additional color definitions.
> dwm uses invertation for several stuff, thus a single additional
> color for highlighting tags of the focused client won't work at
> all. You would need two colors at least. My idea of such

Yes, and I think that should be avoided (for the same reason the third
color tupple was dropped from wmii some months ago).

> rectangle works without additional colors and is pretty easy to
> recognize...

True, but they are a bit too close to the text (characters that use
the full font height will actually touch the surrounding rectangle;
try for instance with font "fixed" and a tag named "[").
Anyway, aside from a little fine tuning, I think this is the way to
go. I like the fact that unfocused clients now only display their
title (tag info is of no _practical_ use for unfocused clients), while
the (useful) taginfo of the selected client _is_ visible.
I think a little experimentation is still in place though (like I
said, the surrounding rectangle should at least give the tagname 1 pix
more place on all sides), maybe just an underline (no wider than the
tagname) under the focused client's tags is just as informative and
less obtrusive, dunno...

Gr. Sander.