Re: [dwm] Comments

From: Julian Romero <julian.romero+dwm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:23:18 +0200

On 8/28/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 04:58:55PM +0100, ste.buffaishere_AT_tin.it wrote:
> > But reading the code a question arise: what says the philosphy
> > of this project about comments?
>
> I follow the rules about comments defined in The Practice Of
> Programming by Kernighan and Pike. Comments are only supplied if
> the code isn't self-explaining enough and needs more context
> information. However I agree that some parts would gain
> readability and provide a better understanding if there were
> comments. Though, no comments are better than wrong or outdated
> comments, which are misleading.

I agree with you. I don't like having 50% of a vim-screen filled up
with comments.

What I miss is a dictionary for 1 or 2 letters variable names...some
kind of README.HACKS like:
mw: master width
twin: title window

with the meaning of each important non-self-explanatory variable and
some comment when required. You ignore what a variable is for and a
1-sec grep will be enough.

This can be maintained easily up-to-date (very few changes) and will
improve a lot the readability.

If anyone is willing to document dwm, a wiki can be the way to go.
I can host it if 10kloc.org is in favor of the idea but hasn't the
time or resources.

regards,

--
Julián