Re: [dwm] remembering client order in each tag

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 12:20:56 +0200

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 12:16:09PM +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> On 9/7/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> >This focus policy is fine with me, however there is no
> >information about the topmost z-order client if the clientlist
> >does not contain any information about this. Thus b) is a
> >nice-to-have but ugly to achieve requirement. Actually one would
> >need to query the X window tree to get the top most client which
> >really sucks and is quite inperformant. I see a solution to keep
>
> That was the idea yes. Is that really such a bad thing?
>
> >track of this info in a more elegant way. If we'd extend Client
> >with a pointer:
> >
> > Client *snext;
> >
> >We'd have a single linked list which could keep track of focus
> >history. on any focus, a client must be pop'ed on this stack.
> >focusnext/focusprev won't be affected, this stack would only be
> >used in arrange() to focus the top-most client.
> >
> >What do you think?
>
> Hm, it looks a little overcomplicated at first glance. For simplicity
> reasons I'd prefer to let X handle the z-order of clients. But if
> you're convinced that that would really suck that much, I guess this
> could be an option...

Querying the tree here and there is really painful. You'll
notice much more load. And it makes no sense, because we have
the infomation implicitely if the data structure is slightly
extended. (I expect it can be done in 20 additional lines after
all with all the benefits I pointed out).

Also, focus recovery for tiled clients won't work with the
z-layer strategy and focussing always the master is often enough
in the way (at least for me).

Regards,