Re: [dwm] remembering client order in each tag

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 12:32:02 +0200

On 9/7/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org> wrote:
> Querying the tree here and there is really painful. You'll
> notice much more load. And it makes no sense, because we have
> the infomation implicitely if the data structure is slightly
> extended. (I expect it can be done in 20 additional lines after
> all with all the benefits I pointed out).
>
> Also, focus recovery for tiled clients won't work with the
> z-layer strategy and focussing always the master is often enough
> in the way (at least for me).

Hm... But wouldn't that mess up focus order in tiled mode (I mean,
when doing a couple of non-clockwise mouse-based focus-changes,
keyboard based focus-order would become quite random).

I think it would be better to use snext (or whatever its name will be)
for keeping track of the z-order instead (and pop a client whenever
it's raised by restack()). This would leave focus-ordering intact, and
still retain z-order (I'll say it again: mixing client-focus-order and
client-z-order up is bound to lead to problems).

Gr. Sander.