[dwm] debugging what X events are reaching dwm (re xine)

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:49:35 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone who knows about X knows so simple way to get info
about what a given client is requesting. This is in connection with a very minor
irritation with using xine on dwm.

Situation is that the media app xine has, when using a TV card, a mode where
you can move up or down a list of channels (using scroll wheel or arrow keys)
to find a channel before selecting it. It looks like _each_ move of the scroll
wheel/arrow key causes both all the other clients and their titles to be redrawn (from the
fact that certain slow redraw clients and all the titles visibly flicker; note that whilst they
redraw they redraw into exactly the same layout). I'm quite open to
the possibility that xine is sending some stupid messages that it shouldn't,
but I'd like to check. (This is on dwm from 1.2 to 1.5 using my multiple clients patch,
but as far as I can see it only changes where on the screen things are drawn and not the
triggers causing a redraw.)

Many thanks for any insight,
cheers, dave tweed