Re: [dwm] xrandr (change screen orientation)

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:35:51 +0100

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 03:25:32PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> On 12/3/06, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> >Hi nsz,
> >
> >I looked into your patch and out of curiosity, how does your
> >focus model work, if you use next instead of snext?
> >
> >To me the client stack was the major improvement that one gets
> >focus predictability.
>
> it's pretty usable imho.
> when i use Mod4-Tab to focus next window, it simply circulates through
> the viewed windows (in the same order as they are managed) so it's
> predictable.
> i usually only have 1-3 windows with a given tag (so at most 2
> Mod4-Tab is enough to get to the desired window).
> i mostly work in the master window so when i change tag then i want
> the focus to be on the master window.
> (i removed multiple view support so it's a bit different from regular dwm
> usage)
>
> with multiple windows it's not the best solution, but then i probably
> still won't use a stack but a direct window adressing method (like
> ALT+Fn on the linux console) inside a view, or simply use the mouse to
> change focus.
> or use programs such that there is no need for many windows (eg:
> screen in a terminal, irc client (one window but many chat channels),
> w3m/firefox (multitab browsers), mc (file browser + shell) ...)
>
> clients with multiple tags can cause annoyances:
> when the client is master with one tag but not with another then the
> master focusing rule doesn't hold changing to the later tag (but it's
> the same with stacking).
> if i move the client to the master area viewing a tag then it moves
> there on the other tags as well (since client order is changed), but
> this has nothing to do with the client stack.

The client stack in dwm is only used when the view changes
(viewing a different/more tags, a new client appears, a client
 is destroyed). It has no effect on the classic navigation
(next/prev) however. You seem to prefer a focus policy we had in
earlier versions before this stack stuff. In tiled mode one can
live without it easily, but when using apps with popup dialogs
a missing client stack is often annoying in my eyes.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361