Re: [dwm] unicode characters in status

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:28:17 +0100

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 11:24:26AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 08:47:50AM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 08:13:33AM +0100, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> > > Not sure about the details, but if I'm not mistaken this has something
> > > to do with font 'subsets' (that's probably not the right word). From
> > > what I understand, there are some character subsets defined for utf-8,
> > > and a font may support some, but not all of them. I believe xterm just
> > > uses whatever the font provides, ignoring what it doesn't provide,
> > > while dwm discards the font's abilities entirely if it doesn't support
> > > all subsets. wmii worked this way too, but was recently patched to
> > > allow 'half utf-8 capable' fonts to work.
> > >
> > > Note that I don't really know what I'm talking about here, this is
> > > just what I understood from a thread on the wmii mailinglist, I *may*
> > > have gotten it completely wrong.
> >
> > I'm not sure if it might solve the problem dmtry noticed, but
> > attached patch will enforce to use the specified font even if
> > necessary font sets are missing. dmtry let me know if you get
> > better results with this patch applied (though I doubt it,
>
> With this patch applied I see no characters at all in the status bar
> anymore, just some squares...

Well, then the font you use does not contain those fontsets, and
now dwm don't uses 'fixed' as internal fallback in such
situations, which might be the reason for what you notice.

> > better is to uncomment the missing fontsets reported by dwm in
> > your ru_RU.UTF-8/XLC_LOCALE file... but well.
>
> Where would dwm report those? My ~/.xsession-errors is empty..

dwm reports them to stderr, dunno where you redirect it to. I
use dwm > $HOME/dwm.err 2>&1 and then my dwm.err contains
something like:

missing fontset: JISX0201.1976-0
missing fontset: GB2312.1980-0
missing fontset: KSC5601.1987-0
missing fontset: JISX0208.1983-0
** Message: plugin_get_value 1 (1)

It also contains the output of apps which have been invoked by
dmenu and which write to stderr.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361