Re: [dwm] unicode characters in status

From: Diego Biurrun <diego_AT_biurrun.de>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 00:58:11 +0100

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 11:28:17AM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 11:24:26AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > I'm not sure if it might solve the problem dmtry noticed, but
> > > attached patch will enforce to use the specified font even if
> > > necessary font sets are missing. dmtry let me know if you get
> > > better results with this patch applied (though I doubt it,
> >
> > With this patch applied I see no characters at all in the status bar
> > anymore, just some squares...
>
> Well, then the font you use does not contain those fontsets, and
> now dwm don't uses 'fixed' as internal fallback in such
> situations, which might be the reason for what you notice.

Well, the font works perfectly in xterm or mlterm or emacs ..

I have the following in config.h:

#define FONT "-misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--0-0-75-75-c-0-iso10646-1"

and I have the same problem with:

#define FONT "-*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*"

> > > better is to uncomment the missing fontsets reported by dwm in
> > > your ru_RU.UTF-8/XLC_LOCALE file... but well.
> >
> > Where would dwm report those? My ~/.xsession-errors is empty..
>
> dwm reports them to stderr, dunno where you redirect it to. I
> use dwm > $HOME/dwm.err 2>&1 and then my dwm.err contains
> something like:
>
> missing fontset: JISX0201.1976-0
> missing fontset: GB2312.1980-0
> missing fontset: KSC5601.1987-0
> missing fontset: JISX0208.1983-0
> ** Message: plugin_get_value 1 (1)
>
> It also contains the output of apps which have been invoked by
> dmenu and which write to stderr.

OK, that helped, thanks. With the fixed font I get

missing fontset: JISX0201.1976-0
missing fontset: GB2312.1980-0
missing fontset: KSC5601.1987-0
missing fontset: JISX0208.1983-0
missing fontset: ISO8859-1
missing fontset: ISO8859-1

with terminus I get

missing fontset: JISX0201.1976-0
missing fontset: GB2312.1980-0
missing fontset: KSC5601.1987-0
missing fontset: JISX0208.1983-0

I'm scratching my head here. Can anybody point me to the relevant
manuals I could start reading?

Diego