Re: [dwm] Java Saga Continues...

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:01:22 +0100

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 09:35:50PM -0500, Pavel Tatashin wrote:
> Good day everyone!
>
> I understand Arg has done a good investigation into Java problem, but
> it is still an actual problem.
> To set AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit Is a good solution until you need to use
> Java's drag 'n drop operations. I spent half night debugging my JTree
> to find out that DnD does not work because of Java vs. DWM issues...
>
> Is this is not enough?
> Well here is a more serious problem on Java's side. If
> "AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit" is set Java VM 6, 64 bit version segfaults...
> At least on Linux (checked with FC6) (JDK 5 64 bit works fine)
>
> While the later one is purely Sun's fault, has anyone found a solution
> to the first issue? I so got used to DWM and really hate to start
> other WM just to work on my project.. :-(

I fear there is no simple solution unless Sun don't fixes the
JDK properly. Introducing frames for each client would mean much
more resource consumption of X, and the dwm codebase would get
more complex - one would need to change nearly all
resize-related stuff, manage() and unmanage(), besides extending
Client struct with Client->fwin.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361