Re: [dwm] bar position

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:15:14 +0100

Tako rzecze Kurt H Maier (w e-mailu datowanym 2007-02-07, 10:42):

> I think a bottom bar is also probably better for GUI users; that would
> put the "File, Edit, View..." menu at the top of the screen. You
> wouldn't have to aim as carefully. It would also fit in better for
> dwm at least: the bar in dwm is really a status bar, and not much
> else. Sure you can click to change tags (a feature I have never
> deliberately used), but for the most part dwm's bar is read-only, and
> so it should probably go down there with every other application's
> status bar.
>
> As for the Apple top bar vs the Windows bottom bar, the Apple bar is
> actually the menu, and by moving the dwm bar to the bottom we'd be
> getting the benefit of the "mile-high menu bar" [1] without having to
> effect major interface renovation. Also when the dwm bar is at the
> bottom it would have whatever advantage that the Windows taskbar has,
> in that it shows the open window at the bottom of the screen, plus the
> status section where the "system tray" would go.

Actually I probably almost never actually point and click at the menus
as I tend to use either direct accelerators for GUI oriented programs or
navigate the menu by keyboard (alt-something, then something).

Your argument is still convincing and I think we should try and test
dwm's usability with the bar at the bottom.

Best,

[a]

--
. Antoni Grzymala - antoni (at) chopin.edu.pl -------------------.
| OpenPGP KeyID EB315583 available now from a keyserver near you |