Re: [dwm] tagging vs stereo

From: Marek Bernat <marek.bernat_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:25:54 +0100

On 2/12/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:

> Tonight I couldn't sleep very well and thought about
> functionality in dwm which I don't use extensively. But I don't
> plan that those ideas will be implemented in dwm, but maybe in a
> different tool, being evaluated.
>
> I'm pretty happy with dwm, esp. with the tiling mode, but I
> noticed that I rarely use the mode toggling itself. Actually I
> think the mode stuff seems rather unnecessary, because it's easy
> to patch config.h for those apps who should be floating (there
> are justifications for it, once you add more arrangement
> algorithms like the dogrid patch however).
>
> I also notice that I rarely use the tagging capabilities dwm
> provides, and that I more and more stick to two views only (one with
> web stuff, and another one with terminals). So I developed a
> window organization approach tonight, which I call 'stereo',
> because it consists of two kinds of windows - currently viewed
> ones, and not-viewed ones.
>
> In contrast to tagging this stereo concept works on two sets of
> windows as described in the following:
>
> - new clients appear in the current view
> - one can detach a viewed window
> - one can re-attach a detached window
> - one can invert the view to display the currently detached
> windows
>
> Hence, one can easily get rid of all unnecessary windows, but
> one can also easily switch between two kinds of working sets.
>
> For my personal working environment, this could fully replace
> the tagging approach.
>
> I'm not sure yet if I'm really going to evaluate this, but if
> so, I plan a little brother of dwm, which is called stereowm, it
> will drop several parts of dwm:
>
> - the status bar will go away, instead I plan a third tool
> called sbar, which provides a status area (like current dwm
> bar), but similiar to dmenu, hence it reads from stdin and
> prints the input on the bar, nothing else.
> - the modes will go away, the tiling capabilities will last
> - the tagrules will go away, instead a char ** array can be
> defined to contain regexp's for all class:instance:title
> combinations which should be floating on creation time
> - instead of tagging, this stereowm will work as I described
> above
>
> Such wm could be easily implemented on top of the dwm codebase
> in my eyes.
>
> I'm rather curios what others think about this concept.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Anselm R. Garbe >< http://www.suckless.org/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361

Hi,
I spend most of my time browsing and using terminals as well and only
occasionaly run other apps.
So this sounds like a very interesting idea and I would definetely love to
try it out.

One thing, I am not sure how you wnat to re-attach a detached window.
You mean inverting the view and doing detachement there?
Or do you want to use some iconify mechanism, so that the windows of the
other view would be minimized in the current view?

Regards.