Re: [dwm] konqueror and temporary file transfer window

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:33:45 +0100

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:25:29PM +0100, Oliver Heins wrote:
> "Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> writes:
>
> > The dialog you mention does not set any classic ICCCM hints that
> > it's a diaglog window (maybe it sets EWMH, but we only support
> > some portions of EWMHints).
>
> So this is a bug of konqueror? Should I commit a bug report then?

Not really, developers are free to set such hints. And the
Gnome/KDE front is quite pro-EWMH. If they need yet another
hint, they have a good connection to freedesktop.org to simply
release the next version of the EWMH spec which contains such
another hint (which is only supported by their bleeding edge
windows vista clone environments ;)) - and actually those
kwin/metacity/... developers are more familiar with Windows/OS X
than anything else, hence they don't care much about ICCCM
(except what's supported out of the box by Qt or GTK).

So, don't expect they will be happy if you ask for setting the
TRANSIENT_FOR hint, I would bet, they even dunno about this old
stylish approaches ;)

> Btw, after your 2wm approach I watched my using of dwm, and I must say
> that I use at least three tags all the time: editor, web and pdf-viewer.
> And I do make use of tagging. Not very often, but occasionally I tag a
> window to two ore more views.

Same with me. And once again: 2wm is dead dead dead!

Regards,