Re: [dwm] recent changes to dwm (since dwm-3.5)

From: John S. Yates, Jr. <john_AT_yates-sheets.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:22:41 -0500

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 11:56:18AM I wrote:

> Scanning the bundles showing up on [hackers] it is clear that
> those of us who have any significant investment in dwm patches
> are in for rough sledding trying to track this refactoring.

To which Anselm replied with a detailed list of his changes
explaining that none should be a significant impediment to
propagating patches.

In that same posting I further wrote:

> Will there be appreciable new functionality or is this just
> gilding the lily? At what point will st get any real
> attention?

So what is the motivation for this refactoring? Personally
I have much more interest in st reaching a minimal level of
utility than in a refactoring of dwm that really presents us
nothing new.

Don't get me wrong, I love dwm. And I program for a living
-- begriming 35 years ago with systems written entirely in
assembler -- so I believe I can appreciate finely crafted code.
But an st that we can all help evolve will make much more of a
difference to the suckless community than an endlessly polished
dwm.

/john