Re: [dwm] Text selection I-beam is hard to see

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:59:41 +0100

Tako rzecze John S. Yates, Jr. (w e-mailu datowanym 2007-02-22, 01:03):

> I posted this plea to both the Gentoo and Sabayon forums:
>
> > I run dwm as my window manager. Of course this reflects the fact
> > that the vast majority of my windows are text (emacs or urxvt
> > xterms). When the pointer is not over selectable text it is an
> > hovering cyan arrow pointing up and to the left with a subtle
> > shadow. Over selectable text the pointer changes to a very fine
> > vertical cyan I-beam with a ghost of a shadow. This I-beam is hard
> > enough to see when the screen's brightness is cranked down. It
> > becomes nearly invisible if I increase the brightness. Is there
> > anything I can do to improve this situation? Change color to black?
> > Use a thicker stroke to draw the I-beam?
>
> I have successfully changed the pointer theme for Gnome and KDE
> sessions. But when I log out and return to the KDM greeter screen the
> original cyan pointer and nearly invisible I-beam return. These
> remain in effect when I start dwm. What do I need to do to use a
> different set of pointer icons with dwm?

Emerge a set of cursors (like gentoo-xcursors for example) then:

  mkdir /usr/share/cursors/xorg-x11/default/
  vim /usr/share/cursors/xorg-x11/default/index.theme

And in that file:

  [Icon Theme]
  Inherits=gentoo-silver

(or, alternatively, any other directory from the gentoo-xcursors
package). Hope this helps,

[a]

--
. Antoni Grzymala - antoni (at) chopin.edu.pl -------------------.
| OpenPGP KeyID EB315583 available now from a keyserver near you |