Re: [dwm] column layout revival?

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:37:49 +0100

On 9/4/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> What I have in mind from time to time, esp. when being forced to
> work with a standard resolution monitor is, that I'd like to see
> the basic wmii column layout - but without column modes (simply
> equal) and without all other clunk. To achieve this, we would
> loose the ability to view more than one tag - but gaining the
> layout preservation on the other side and having a real column
> layout, which means allowing to move windows between the columns
> left- and right-wards (which may create new columns) resp. up-
> and down-wards to move them in the stack.

FWIW, I use dwm on a two monitors setup with generally four columns, a
typical example being at

http://www.personal.rdg.ac.uk/~sis05dst/desktop.jpg

(The colours are for some reason screwed up by xwd.)

I find I quite often want to be able to move windows to more general
positions in the clients list, so I've written a function to move the
currently selected window to position k in the clients list (since
there's not just master or non-master choice like std dwm but various
sizes and positions). It moves the client and retiles but doesn't
change the "column capacities" (which sounds like what you're talking
about). The big problem is that I've got to actually count to
determine which keybinding to use to move a client to a new position;
I keep meaning to look into how to use the mouse to do this.

I certainly file this useful, but in conjunction with viewing multiple tags.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
david.tweed_AT_gmail.com