Re: [dwm] column layout revival?

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai_AT_emptydomain.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:53:42 +0200

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 10:34:21PM -0400, voltaic wrote:

> And I don't think a simple layout for DWM will accomplish what Anselm is
> suggesting. Moving clients around in the column goes hand in hand with state
> preservation: One feature would be useless without the other.

Perhaps it works to have a layout with an ncols parameter. Windows are
arranged in N columns, like so (3 columns, 6 windows):

+---+---+---+
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
+---+---+---+
| 4 | 5 | 6 |
+---+---+---+

If the number of windows is not a multiple of N, then the left columns
get fewer windows.

The digits in the above picture show the position of the window in the
window list. Dwm already maintains a window list: the first window goes
in the master area, the following windows are arranged from top to
bottom in the slave area.

I'm not sure if dwm already has a function to move a window up/down in
the list. Then moving up/down by 1 would be moving the window to a
different column, and moving up/down by N would be moving to a different
position in the same column (approximately).

I see nothing fundamentally different in this type of layout, I guess it
would fit in well with the existing dwm concepts.

Kai