Re: [dwm] Taglayouts poll

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:26:44 +0200

On 10/26/07, Jeremy O'Brien <obrien654j_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just wondering how many people here use Jan's taglayouts patch.
> Personally, I won't upgrade to a new version of dwm unless that patch
> has been updated as well (or if I can update it myself). I find it
> indispensable. I guess what I'm getting at is if you guys think it
> should be included in the main dwm tree? (More of a question to Arg I
> think ;) )

No, it shouldn't, for the simple reason that it doesn't fit within the
tagging paradigm.

Dwm's paradigm is quite simple:
- There's one workspace, in which only one layout can be active at a
given moment.
- Tags are used to select which windows are visible and which are not
in the workspace. Each window can have any combination of tags applied
to it, and any combination of tags can be selected for viewing at a
given moment.

Hence, to do this taglayouts stuff "right", you'd need to remember the
layout for every possible combination of all the tags that are
available, and possibly also the position of each window in eacht tag
it has, which you really don't want to.

If the taglayouts patch is useful for you, use it, but no matter how
useful it is, it is a hack, and a such doesn't belong in mainstream
dwm.

Greetings, Sander.