Re: [dwm] dwm wish, a tidy-up function

From: Ritesh Kumar <ritesh_AT_cs.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:50:36 -0500

On Dec 4, 2007 6:44 PM, Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just came across another idea. How about implementing a function in dwm
> that would reapply all the predefined rules (float/non-float, tagging)
> to all clients in a dwm session.
>
> This could either be a function bindable to a keystroke, or dwm reacting
> to a signal (say, HUP), or what not.
>
> This way, when I do a total mess with tagging and floating my clients
> (sometimes it happens and I get lost) I could get my everyday dwm state
> with one keystroke or command.
>
> What do you think?
>
> I presume this could also be achieved by restarting dwm, but this
> doesn't seem too clean to me, and also would not integrate well with a
> login manager (from what it seems).
>
> If something like that is already there, excuse my infinite dumbness for
> not noticing.
>
> Best,

I too get lost when I have floating and tiled windows in my view. I think a
shortcut to just tile everything visible (without forgetting the tags) will
rescue me.
Infact what do you think about putting tags in the windows (associated
atoms?) themselves so that tags are preserved after a dwm restart?

Ritesh