Re: [dwm] dwm and gnome

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 23:53:47 +0100

> > You should use "Desktop" instead.
> >
> > The problem is that this rule is ignored ://
>
> I bet the desktop fullscreen window has set the
> override_redirect hint. Check with
> ; xwininfo | grep Redirect
> If that's the case.

pancake_AT_bare:~$ xwininfo
xwininfo: Window id: 0xa0001d "Escritorio"
  Absolute upper-left X: 0
  Absolute upper-left Y: 736
  Relative upper-left X: 0
  Relative upper-left Y: 736
  Width: 512
  Height: 32
  Depth: 24
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners: +0+736 -512+736 -512-0 +0-0
  -geometry 512x32+0-0

It doesn't :/

> [..]
> > Not only for gnome, but this way we can provide hybrid environment with
> > tiled desktop and menubar and will be compatible with any available desktop
> > environment or menu implementation.
>
> The problem with this is extensive use of EWMH, and I don't want
> to clutter dwm with this. I think Gnome is nothing for dwm
> users. Same with the other environments.
> ;)
>
> If you really want them co-exist, go with Xnest the one or the
> other way, or with two differently concurrently running X
> servers.

Hehe, i just wanted to express my experience with this weird mixture.
I understand that joining both worlds is not a clean design and I
understand your comments.

I find dwm a nice environment for experimentating with usability and
having this mix can make non-tiled users to see how productives are
these environments. But I see this as an experiment.

Just to see how a 'normal' or ignorant user interacts with a computer
with a tiled window manager just observing how they try to manage the
environment. This way it's possible to fix and learn new ways for dwm
and bring some experimental ideas.

I just want to play O:)

--pancake