Re: [dwm] dwm and gnome

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:40:51 +0100

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 11:08:06PM +0100, pancake wrote:
> In a box of my parent's home I have an ubuntu box with gnome.
> They feel comfortable with metacity because it doesn't needs
> to learn any keybinding, but when i'm using it I feel really
> uncomfortable and I have to use dwm.
>
> I have decided to try to adapt dwm to fit with metacity and
> gnome-menu and make it boot dwm instead of metacity.
>
> Copypasta these lines to avoid metacity:
>
> gconftool --type string -s /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/current /usr/bin/dwm
> gconftool --type string -s /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/default /usr/bin/dwm
>
> When gnome-session boots gnome-panel/dwm/nautilus it comes into
> a broken environment.. The nautilus --desktop starts as a fullscreen
> floating window so, it hides the dwm statusbar and the gnome-panel
> gets focus, so the desktop is on top and unfocused.. So you have to
> alt+j, alt+return.
>
> What I propose is to force the metacity desktop window to be tiled.
> I have tried to add a rule for it getting the window title with xwininfo
> and inserting a row inside the rules array:
>
> Rule rules[] = {
> /* class:instance:title regex tags regex isfloating */
> { "Firefox", "www", False },
> { "Escritorio", NULL, False },
>
> You should use "Desktop" instead.
>
> The problem is that this rule is ignored ://

I bet the desktop fullscreen window has set the
override_redirect hint. Check with
; xwininfo | grep Redirect
If that's the case.

> About the gnome-panel...the default desktop menu gets something inusable
> because its handled as a normal tiled window, and I think they should be
> floating and borderless or implementing a static area in dwm to make all
> 'static' windows live there. Something like this:
>
> +-----------+ -> dwm status bar
> | | |
> | |-----| -> tiled area
> | | |
> |_____|_____|
> +-----------+ -> static area
>
> This way we can allow windows with a certain title be stacked there like
> the cpt patch does to avoid interfering with other windows.

[..]
> Not only for gnome, but this way we can provide hybrid environment with
> tiled desktop and menubar and will be compatible with any available desktop
> environment or menu implementation.

The problem with this is extensive use of EWMH, and I don't want
to clutter dwm with this. I think Gnome is nothing for dwm
users. Same with the other environments.
;)

If you really want them co-exist, go with Xnest the one or the
other way, or with two differently concurrently running X
servers.

Regards,