Re: [dwm] mail notification again

From: Jukka Salmi <j+dwm_AT_2008.salmi.ch>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:26:20 +0100

Peter Vollmar --> dwm (2008-01-09 23:05:49 +0100):
> Hi everybody,
> Following the discussion earlier in December I've found a good solution
> with 'fetchmail -c' showing the number of new messages in the status bar. The code copied from Martin Sander's comment is:
>
> fetchmail -c|sed 's/(//'|awk '{print $1-$3}'
> 1

Hmm, this doesn't really work if you configure fetchmail to check more
than one folder... And, BTW: if you use more than one of grep, sed and
awk in a single pipline, you have almost always done something wrong
;-)

> The problem is that fetchmail accesses the mail server as often as the
> other services in the status bar are accessed - usually every few
> seconds, which is unnecessarily often for imap! I've changed it to 60
> seconds, which is about the lowest reasonable for the 'date' and 'uptime'. Is
> there anything we can do about this?

Run all commands except fetchmail every n seconds in a loop as you
already do, and fetchmail only every m loop iterations. Thus fetchmail
will be executed only every mn seconds.

HTH, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: