Re: [dwm] Minimalism

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:09:21 +0100

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 12:37:56PM +0100, Sylvain Bertrand wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking to reduce my software stack and I'm targeting the C
> library. I know I just need to perform direct Linux syscalls and it
> will be fine. But, I would like to load ELF shared objects in my
> process space and for that, the only way I know is to use the dynamic
> linking lib from the C library. Has anybody heard about something like
> that?

lolsome, libraries are here to avoid code duplication in memory,
i know that most of GNU ones are blobs, but the solution is not coding
like gcc -static does. This is a task of the compiler and what you're
proposing is a bad software design rule.

About the shared object loading..it's not inside libC on GNU systems.
This task is delegated to libdl. so it's an standalone library.

I think that system elf loader (ld.so) should be able to do it so..if
you're writing a virus or playing with low-level stuff on *nix you can
get a look on it.

> And for dwm, I don't know what would be the cost to build directly the
> X11 packets or to recode the XCB lib straight on Linux syscalls.

This will make dwm unportable and we should implement the different
ways to communicate with X11 (socket file, network,..)