Re: [dwm] idesk + DWM

From: Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439_AT_csun.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:34:58 -0800

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 00:19:35 +0100
"Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would drop the idea of having icons. Why not hacking the dwm
> bar or re-using dzen for this puprose (just add some labels your
> parents can click on which launch an app)?
>
> But well, I believe dwm is for power users :)
>
> Kind regards,
> Anselm

Yes DWM is for power users and it is an amazing piece of software. I don't think I can ever go back to anything again...

Anyways, i do see a potential for DWM for beginners though. I mean my parents won't be able to use the entire power of DWM but I am sure they will appreciate the cleanliness of the desktop and the whole tags concept. It will make their life easier in my opinion.

Yes, I guess I could use the dwm bar for launching apps. But I might stick with an 'apps' folder in their home folder that consists of all the applications they would want to use. I would have lets say rox launch at DWM startup and have it open up the apps folder by default.

Or i could try using idesk....

And finally...DWM would scream on their old machine.

Thanks!

Amit