Re: [dwm] idesk + DWM

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:26:11 +0100

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 03:34:58PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 00:19:35 +0100
> "Anselm R. Garbe" <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would drop the idea of having icons. Why not hacking the dwm
> > bar or re-using dzen for this puprose (just add some labels your
> > parents can click on which launch an app)?
> >
> > But well, I believe dwm is for power users :)
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Anselm
> >

> Yes DWM is for power users and it is an amazing piece of software. I don't think I can ever go back to anything again...
>
> Anyways, i do see a potential for DWM for beginners though. I mean my parents won't be able to use the entire power of DWM but I am sure they will appreciate the cleanliness of the desktop and the whole tags concept. It will make their life easier in my opinion.
>
> Yes, I guess I could use the dwm bar for launching apps. But I might stick with an 'apps' folder in their home folder that consists of all the applications they would want to use. I would have lets say rox launch at DWM startup and have it open up the apps folder by default.
>
> Or i could try using idesk....
>
> And finally...DWM would scream on their old machine.

Well, you can setup dwm and dmenu in very newbie-friendly ways,
e.g. just three tags, and dmenu only showing up with those apps
which are intended being used by the newbie, nothing else. Then
removing some shortcuts and writing down the essentials on a
sheet of paper and the newbies might be more productive than
being teached to use WinXP or Vista.

But in my experience the user interface was not the problem of
newbies, for example my father once asked why does this program
don't work on the Mac (at OS 9 times) -- unfortunately the
program he attempted to run was for WinXP -- so for a very
newbie things like this are not clear.

Kind regards,